Sunday, June 19, 2011

Soldiers of a Lifetime

Soldiers of a lifetime
Fighting to provide
A world with much to offer
Their children to survive.
Their love is your armour to protect and defend
Against the enemy, use it to mend
Learn from their honor
And believe in their trust
They will give of their lives
For you if they must.
Know that no other
Can fill in their boots
As they work every day
To give you your roots.
Grow strong and stay true
To the lessons you've learned,
And know in your lifetime,
Your Father, Your Friend.

I wrote this in 2005 when I began to realize how important it was to my husband to help our daughters understand how different their lives would be in the future.  I listened as my husband shared pieces of history with them,  hoping to open their eyes to a different reality than what they believed to be true.

Some say it takes guts to talk openly about collapse with your children, but for him it's a responsibility that every father has and just because it hurts to tell them what they don't want to hear,  is no reason to stop.  I'm blessed to have a husband who always encouraged our daughters to ask questions, listen well and to be independently strong.

To all the men in my life that have loved me, taught me, supported me and listened---thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment